Dance Quente kicks off Latin American month

By Sandra Masibay

Bright swirling colors and authentic Latin folk music surrounded students at the King Memorial commons Wednesday at noon.

Members of Dance Quente performed for a diverse audience to kick off Latin-American month.

“Latin American month has been around for many years but was officially recognized by NIU five years ago. Originally, it was held in April but was changed to the month of September, specifically September 15 to October 15, to correspond with Latino Celebration and Independence Days nationwide.” said Lupe Navarro, chairperson of Latino Cultural Awareness month.

Dance Quente was established on NIU’s campus four years ago by a handful of Latin American students. Their goals consisted of promoting cultural awareness and helping students preserve and share their culture through dance.

Traditional Latin dances, Salsa, Merengue, etc. are taught to members which are then demonstrated to different audiences throughout the year. Occasionally, Dance Quente will also hold dances.

Many members of the audience that came to support Dance Quente were Latino students already involved with campus organizations, fraternities and sororities.

Participating organizations included Alpha Psi Lambda, Sigma Lambda Beta, Zeta Sigma Chi, the Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS) and El Pueblo Unido.

Jessie Medina, a third-year accounting major and member of Sigma Lambda Beta attended the kickoff celebration. “It reminds me of home. We all get homesick. It’s really good to see my culture alive in DeKalb. Hopefully, it will continue every year.”

Membership to Dance Quente is not limited to Latinos. All interested persons are encouraged to join.

“I’m proud to see a diverse crowd at these events. I have a feeling it brings people together,” Elizabeth Gallo, fourth-year fine arts major.

Jeff M. Ruetsche, a fourth-year philosophy major also attended and said, “I dug the traditional dress. I wish I could see more of it on campus from all cultures.”

Besides promoting and strengthening Latino/Latina culture, Dance Quente has also helped member Roberto Berreles overcome his shyness. “It (Dance Quente) helped me overcome my shyness. I won’t be embarrassed about performing in public anymore.”

Dance Quente may be summed up best by Luis “Mosquito” Perez, “We’re not here to be the greatest dancers. We let people know that our culture is still alive. We’re out to have fun and it helps us socially. It’s a good way to meet people, especially for freshman.”

It is also important to remember Latin cultures and struggles are not only alive for one month out of the year Navarro noted. “We are Latinos all year round.”

Also a part of Latino Cultural Month is Mariachi Cevala, the nooner band performing today in the commons.

“We’re not here to be the greatest dancers. We let people know that our culture is still alive. We’re out to have fun and it helps us socially. It’s a good way to meet people, especially for freshman.”

Luis “Mosquito” Perez