Men’s soccer ready to take field for scrimmage

By Sean Connor

NIU coach Steve Simmons and the men’s soccer team will take to the field at 2 p.m. Wednesday for their annual intra-squad scrimmage.

“It will be a measuring tool to see what [the players] have done this summer and where certain combinations fit,” Simmons said.

The fourth-year coach said his nine-man recruiting class is going to raise the level of competition amongst the team more than ever.

“Everybody has the same opportunity to start, play or fail,” Simmons said. “The assumption is returning players use wisdom and experience while younger players’ youthful energy and hunger make a good recipe for competition.”

Korcek’s last call

After 22 years as NIU’s Sports Information Director, Mike Korcek’s final send-off will come at 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Convocation Center.

Open to the public, the Mike Korcek retirement party and roast will kick-off shortly after NIU football’s media day.

Korcek retired June 30 from his position after spending 33 years with NIU, and four more when he was a student.

He will remain on staff at NIU as SID emeritus and chair of the Hall of Fame committee.

Student football parking

The Student Huskie Club is dead and Red Riot has arrived.

Membership is free for students who wish to join Red Riot.

For $50, students can buy a season parking pass for home football games, but must become a member of Red Riot before buying a pass.

Parking for students will be located on the grass directly east of the football stadium.

Students will receive a t-shirt, invitations to events, have a chance to be selected for in-game special promotions and giveaways as well as get preferred seating at home basketball games.

Got $100,000?

At each of the six home football games this season the NIU athletics department, in a partnership with Resource Bank, are allowing fans a chance to win $100,000.

If the first kickoff NIU receives during each home game is returned for a touchdown, one fan will be chosen to receive the prize.

Fans can sign up for the contest at Resource Bank locations or send an e-mail to [email protected] that includes a name, address and phone number.

Feeney’s summer splash

NIU baseball junior Trevor Feeney was named Pitcher of the Week by the Central Illinois Collegiate League for July 24-30.

Pitching for the Twin City Stars (23-18) of Bloomington-Normal, Feeney won both starts and struck out 15 while allowing one earned run in 14 innings.

Feeney is 2-1 this summer with 32 strikeouts and two saves in 31 innings and 10 appearances.