Working to end world hunger

By Nikki Caiafa

According to Bread for the World, an organization interested in ending world hunger, 36 million Americans don’t have enough food.

Today from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., the organization will have a table set up in Wirtz Hall, where students with time to spare can write a letter to Congress.

“We want to remind congressmen about the promise the president made to cut hunger in half by 2015,” said Amy Dyer, a senior hospitality administration major.

Dyer, who won a scholarship through Bread for the World, wants to pay back the organization and hopes to recruit interested students to form a chapter at NIU.

The two goals of the table are to inform the public on the issue and to heighten student interest, Amy Ozier said.

As a dietician, Ozier sees how it affects people’s, especially children’s, cognitive abilities and their overall quality of life.

“People in places like Africa, Sudan and Kenya are chronically hungry and undernourished,” Ozier said. “In the U.S., there is food insecurity. It’s a really sad way to live.”

The organization holds meetings at the Baptist Campus Ministry. If it is picked up at NIU, there will be an informational meeting before the summer.

The group studies hunger issues, listens to speakers, lobbies congressmen and has more than 200 chapters in the U.S.

“The most important thing is that our president commits to his goal,” Dyer said. “With 36 million Americans in poverty, it is important we remind Congress and hold them accountable for their promise.”