Huskies split pair of road games with Valparaiso

By Sean Connor

A difference of three runs in each game of a doubleheader Tuesday brought a split for the NIU softball team against Valparaiso.

After losing 3-0 in the first game, the Huskies (14-16) rebounded to take the second game 4-1.

NIU pitcher Lindsey LaChiana gave up three runs in her first two innings, including a two-run home run in the second.

Junior Ellen Stoddard and freshman Bailey Ouellette collected two hits each for NIU.

For Valpo (13-19), pitchers Chris Halstead and Andrea Zappa combined to give up seven hits and one walk while striking out three Huskies over seven innings.

“We out hit them, but they made some plays,” NIU coach Donna Martin said. “We also didn’t run the bases well.”

Martin elected to stray from her normal pitching rotation of LaChiana and sophomore Taryn Hagemann by using senior hurler Paige Granath in game two.

The Machesney Park native gave up three hits and one run over seven innings while striking out three to improve her record to 3-2.

“Paige needs to pitch for us,” Martin said. “She had a good change-up and got them to pop-up.”

On offense, sophomore Michelle Nendza broke a 0-10 slide at the plate by smacking a two-RBI double in the top of the fifth inning to give NIU a 3-1 lead.

The Huskies capped the day off with a solo home run by freshman Ashley Clement. The MAC West Player of the Week went 1 for 2 in game two.

with a walk.