Preventing sexual assault

By Nikki Caiafa

Students gathered in Neptune’s southeast room Monday night to honor sexual violence survivors.

It was the third annual gathering of “Divas and Desserts,” where students could walk around and learn about the history of sexual violence and the women who survived it.

“We want to educate students about the issue and the resources for survivors and their family and friends,” said Donna Schoenfeld, director of Health Enhancement.

Volunteers from Safe Passage, a 24-hour support group in DeKalb, set up tables with information and a variety of baked goods for students to enjoy. They also hung T-shirts designed by survivors who expressed their grief and determination to overcome violence.

“We are doing our best to help prevent it, and hopefully destroy this issue forever,” said Amanda Schrems, a legal advocate at Safe Passage. Schrems said she received positive feedback from past events and hopes to continue reaching both women and men.

“It is a good way to make people more aware of sexual assault and equality,” said Bill Leuelen, a senior sociology major.

Nekika Skinar, a senior sociology major, said that although she knew a lot about sexual violence, it is good to have a reminder.

“It’s important for students to have awareness because the problem plagues American women,” Skinar said.

Students who have experienced sexual violence can contact the Counseling and Student Development Center, Health Enhancement or Safe Passage for free support.