Get to know your executive candidates

By Collin Quick

The Northern Star gave the nine candidates running for Student Association and Campus Activities Board executive officers a chance to voice their opinions before this week’s elections.

NIU Elections 2006

Times: Polls are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.

Locations: Holmes Student Center, Founders Memorial Library and DuSable Hall.

More election rules, facts and voting requirements will be featured Tuesday.

Campus Activity Board

President

Dion Smith, senior,

political science/sociology

“I feel students should take the time out of their day to vote for me because I am dedicated to introducing the NIU campus and DeKalb community to a wide variety of programming that most college students are interested in.”

“I feel I bring the experience and reputation needed to work with people from all walks of life. Also, as a student myself, I bring the thirst of wanting to see a wide spectrum of events on campus.”

Vice President of

Programming

Javier Arellano, senior,

criminology

“My objective is to cater to the student body as a whole and represent NIU as a community competent enough to host thriving events. I bring experience and versatility.”

“I enjoy traveling and dancing.”

Vice President of

Finance

Michael Orescanin, sophomore, political science

“I’m a student with much determination in maintaining as well as improving the CAB office.”

“I feel I will bring energy, motivation as well as more diversity in planning events from being involved with multiple diverse organizations. I also am an SA senator, member of Sigma Phi Epsilon and a member of the NIU Finance Committee.”

Vice President of

Administration

Ambar Castillo, senior,

marketing

“I am responsible and am willing to work diligently and efficiently for the student body. I bring an air of humor and fun to every event I take part in.”

“I also am involved in the American Advertising Federation. I enjoy long walks along the lagoon on clear spring nights.”

Student Association

President

Adam Novotney, junior,

management

“I feel I have a great deal of ideas which the entire ticket seeks to tackle next year. I have a lot of experience and know I can do the job very well.”

“I bring a great deal of experience into the SA. I have worked on the SA Senate, SA staff and currently in my capacity as vice president of Finance for the Campus Activities Board.”

“My time is devoted mostly to CAB, but I operate in advisory capacities to other organizations.”

Vice President

Michael Johns, senior

sociology

“Students should vote for me because of my commitment to making NIU a better place. Also, it’s my enduring spirit that makes me open to interacting with anyone.”

“I feel I will bring a diverse outlook to the SA as well as the eagerness to bring new, innovative ideas to the organization.”

“I am involved with Leaders In the Fight to Eradicate AIDS and other groups.”

Vice President

Aaron Funfsinn, junior,

political science

“The primary reason why I am running for SA is because I want to change the current administration. I feel we need an SA that is inclusive of the interests of most of the students and not a few clubs or organizations.”

“If a program isn’t working, then it either needs to be changed or gotten rid of. With all of the hefty fees that we have to pay, I am actually supportive of reducing the student activity fee.”

Treasurer

Jarvis Purnell, junior, industrial engineering technology

“I feel it is important for students to be active in voting in any election so their vote can be heard. I feel I can be that proactive voice for students.”

“I feel I can bring versatility to the SA and I feel I can bring a unique perspective to NIU and campus life. “

“I also am the director of Student Life for the SA, Information Technology chairman for the Black Male Initiative, among others.”

Student Trustee

Andrew Nelms, senior, history

“I know that as students we’re all incredibly busy going to class, catching professors during their office hours and spending time with our friends, but the two minutes it takes to vote is worth it. The ticket and I have set an agenda for what we’d like to accomplish this year and the support of the students is important to us.

“I have the experience and knowledge to be an effective advocate for the students and get things done. I hope students look at my record as a senator.”