Student dies in crash

By Evan Thorne

Freshman psychology major Summer Adi died Wednesday night when the car she was riding in spun out of control on Interstate 88, near Downers Grove, said David Furjanic, master sergeant of the Illinois State Police.

Adi and the driver were taken to a local hospital where Adi later succumbed to an infection.

Furjanic said the car jumped the median, was airborne for a short time and flipped onto its roof after the driver lost control.

“Preliminary investigation does not indicate that alcohol and drugs played a part,” Furjanic said. “It does indicate the car may have been traveling at a high rate of speed, and eyewitness accounts support that information.”

Adi currently was pledging Alpha Phi sorority.

“We’re all really missing her,” said Amanda Schaffer, a sophomore speech and language pathology major and new member educator for Alpha Phi. “She was a really sweet girl, and she was doing really well in the new member program. She was the kind of girl who was friendly towards everyone and didn’t pass judgements on people.”

Adi’s friends showed remarkable support and solidarity for one another.

“I was shocked and speechless,” said Ashley Kaminski, a freshman pre-elementary education major. “I met her through English class, and we were supposed to be roommates next year until she found someone else. She’s just a fun, outgoing person with a great personality. She smiles at everyone, and she was kind to everyone.”

As of Sunday afternoon, there were 96 posts on her Facebook account and her sorority sisters in Alpha Phi held a sisterhood event in her honor Thursday night.

Adi’s family was unable to be reached for comment as of press time.