BOT looks at possible student-fee hike

By Collin Quick

An overall increase of 3.95 percent in student fee rates, recommended by the Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee, will be a topic of discussion this morning at the Board of Trustees meeting in Altgeld Hall, Room 315.

For a full-time undergraduate student enrolled in 12 credit hours or more, student fees will rise from $983.79 to $1,060.56.

Optional health insurance faces a 13.21 percent increase, from $288 to $327, while health services is looking at a proposed 9.01 percent increase.

NIU athletics has a possible 9.03 increase looming overhead while the Huskie Buses face a 7.08 percent increase.

Buildings on the NIU campus also face possible increase as well, as buildings fall under the revenue bond fees, which is only calling for a 2.88 percent increase.

The Holmes Student Center is looking at a $0.45 per credit hour increase while the Convocation Center faces an increase of $0.22 per credit hour.

“Percentage-wise, it’s not that much,” said Bob Albanese, associate vice president of Finance and Facilities. “We’ve always been lucky to keep it under 3 percent.”

Albanese attributes the increase in the Student Center to raises in employee pay. “Eighty percent of the costs in the student center are personal, from people receiving raises,” he said.

Convo rates are due to rising costs of utilities and student salaries, Albanese said.

“Utility costs for the building are going up, so we need funds to pay for that,” he said.

The Student Association is looking at a 5.46 percent increase between undergraduate, graduate and professional students.

“The [student activity] fee increase is moderate in nature and I’m comfortable with the idea of it because I know it’s going toward something good for the students,” SA President DuJuan Smith said.

The main focus of the increase will benefit the Campus Child Care facilities, NIU Student Legal Services and Student Organizations in general.

“By no means am I ever in favor of raising any kinds of fees or adding other costs,” Smith said. “However, without this increase, it would be nearly impossible for the Campus Child Care facilities and the NIU Legal Services to function efficiently and serve the students.”

Correction: A page 5 article in Wednesday’s Northern Star incorrectly stated the Board of Trustees meeting would take place Wednesday. The meeting was not a full Board of Trustees meeting, but a Board of Trustees’ Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee meeting.