Chillfest‘ to acquaint students, faculty, staff

By Jen Bland

Wanted: an obscene number of excited students and faculty members who like to party to attend the 6th annual “Chillfest.” Must enjoy free food and music and meeting new people. Social attitude a must.

If you feel you qualify, be at the new Center for Black Studies located on Lincoln Terrace at noon Saturday with your party hats on. Be sure to get there early, though, because it all ends at 4 p.m.

Anthony Van Amos, programming coordinator of the Center for Black Studies, outlines the purpose of “Chillfest” as providing an atmosphere where new and returning students can get acquainted with the faculty members and staff of NIU and the various programs offered on campus.

“It’s a way to greet students, faculty and staff at NIU, particularly minorities,” Amos said.

“Chillfest” usually is held at the beginning of the year as part of New Student Welcome Days, but was postponed this year because of lack of funding.

The event has become a tradition on the NIU campus.

Willard Draper, assistant director of housing, confirmed this by describing “Chillfest” as a “fine, traditional program that students have begun to look forward to every year.”

This year’s “Chillfest” is sponsored by the Center for Black Studies, the Black Student Union (BSU), Educational Services and Programs (ESP) and Black Interhall Council.

Another purpose of “Chillfest” is to introduce students to the multitude of programs and services available at NIU and hopefully encourage students to take advantage of them.

Amos added, “We’re trying to encourage organizations and also majority students to come together and have fun and discuss the various programs.”

Draper also said “Chillfest” is a good way for minority students to interact with each other and have a good time.

Amos promises lots of food and music for all in attendance. He said there will be a DJ and a band spinning hip-house, rap and even disco.

Local DJ House Mike and U.N.I.T. will provide a musical atmosphere. U.N.I.T. plays “house music, rap, disco and oldies but goodies for the contemporary college student,” Amos said.

Amos said in past years the attendance has been fabulous and this year he anticipates an even larger crowd.

“It’s a good introduction for incoming students to meet faculty and staff in general and specifically to meet the students and staff involved in the various programs,” Amos said.

“It’s a good introduction for incoming students to meet faculty and staff in general and specifically to meet the students and staff involved in the various programs”

Van Amos

Center for Black Studies programming coordinator