NIU offers getaway weekend for dads

By Kelsey Pierson

This weekend marks the first time since the 1950s NIU will hold Dad’s Weekend, bringing the fatherly bond to campus.

“We’re scheduling Friday and Saturday with structured events that encourage dads to come back to campus,” said Phyllis Dupre, assistant director of the Parent’s Association. “We tried to make it fun so that students will invite their dads.”

This weekend’s major draw is the men’s basketball game against Western Michigan. Other activities include theatrical and musical performances as well as an appreciation dinner.

Also, in partnership with The House Cafe, dads will get into musical performances free with a student.

“My dad and I will be going to everything included in the weekend package,” said Octavia Bonds, a senior marketing major.

Dupre said she sees Dad’s Weekend as a way for students to bond with their fathers. At the same time, it gives NIU good publicity.

“I think it’s a great idea because it allows dads and students who have busy schedules to spend some time together,” said Amber Croy, a freshman history major who plans to attend the event with her dad.

The Student Involvement and Leadership Development Office, Campus Life Building, Room 150, will be open until 6 p.m. Friday for any students with questions or who still want to register for the event.

Questions can be answered by Phyllis Dupre at 753-6703.

There are two ways for students to register for Dad’s Weekend.

The first is a $165.00 flat rate which covers all activities for one student and one dad.

Another student can be added to that for a nominal fee.

The package includes lodging at the Holmes Student Center hotel, meals and transportation.

Only members of the Parent’s Association are eligible to register for the flat rate.

The other way to register is to pay for each individual event.

Rates and registration forms can be picked up in the Student Involvement and Leadership Development Office.

Tickets will be sold at the door for most of the events that require admission.