Room, board increase under review

By Collin Quick

The Room and Board Rate Review Committee recommended an average of 12.7 percent increase in room rates for the 2006-2007 school year.

The Board of Trustees’ Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee will vote on the proposal Wednesday morning in Altgeld Hall, Room 315.

While room rates are increasing as much as $326 for a Stevenson single, the board rates, commonly known as Dinning Dollar Plans, will remain the same.

Overall, the average proposed room and board increase is 9.1 percent.

Room and board rates increased 6.3 percent this year.

Residence Hall Association President Daniel Chou cites utility costs, the night time check-in staff and the required installation of sprinklers in all halls as reasons for the increase.

“The sprinkler system is on the top of the agenda for the proposed room and board rates,” Chou said. “The State of Illinois requires the installation of sprinklers for fire safety in all residence hall facilities.”

Chou also said NIU had to raise money on its own to fund the sprinklers, and that’s where the bulk of the increase will end up.

“We currently do not have the funds to install sprinklers in all the halls yet, and so this proposed increase will help us gradually gain the money to meet this required mandate,” Chou said. “There is nothing NIU can do but raise the money to install these sprinklers.”

A push to make the take-out food boxes more environmentally friendly was also proposed, but the sprinklers prevailed.

“A proposed increase is going toward research here at the university on new alternatives, such as rice- or corn-based materials instead of the styrene,” Chou said.

While the change may seem daunting, Chou said students have not had any major concerns about the rates.

Housing and Dining sent out a guide earlier in the month with this year’s room and board rates and said the increase would come later in the semester.

“Students who have responded to RHA about this proposed increase do not see it as a major factor influencing their housing situation next semester,” Chou said.

The Board of Trustees will vote March 23 for final approval of the proposed increase.