Survey says students can’t think critically

By Nikki Caiafa

While there are many courses offered to college students, one lesson students rarely seem to learn in the classroom is the lesson of critical thinking, according to a recent survey.

A new study funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts finds nearly half of all college students lack the literacy to handle real-life tasks, according to CNN.

The survey was based on three types of literacy: prose, document and quantitative. Each determined the student’s ability to handle complex tasks such as operating computers, comparing prices and understanding documents.

While students’ scores were low, their literacy scores were still significantly higher than the average literacy score of U.S. adults.

“Information has gotten so complex, that criticism should not be placed on the student,” said Keith Millis, an associate professor of psychology.

Critical thinking is knowing how to apply one’s self and having the motivation to understand information, Millis said.

“The default is that words make sense, but it is only when you are challenged you realize you don’t understand it. When filling out a form you are challenged, but it’s too late,” Millis said.

Millis also thinks there is an emphasis on reading to learn, but it isn’t the same as applying information to critical tasks and challenging what has been taught.

Following instructions, making inferences from world knowledge and being motivated all can make a difference when trying to understand something.

It is especially important for near-graduates who are searching for jobs.

Ellen Anderson, assistant director of Career Services, said she helps hundreds of students fill out resumes each year. Anderson helps students use stronger words, read questions more carefully, edit applications and find internships and work.