Fair features non-traditional boarding

By Colin Leicht and Kelsey Pierson

Had enough of wearing flip-flops in the shower and standing in line to wait for food?

NIU’s Department of Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services will host an off-campus housing fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge.

The fair will feature representatives from local management companies, local landlords and various NIU departments, all of which will present information and tips regarding off-campus living.

The department also will give away various prizes throughout the fair, including an iPod Shuffle, parking permits and gift certificates for the University Bookstore.

“We want to make the process for students easier,” said Troy Melendez, director of the Commuter and Non-traditional Student Services office.

A separate table, dubbed the “Roommate Roundtable,” also will serve as a station for meeting potential roommates and other commuters.

“It’s kind of a socializing area for people who are just transferring here,” said Maliha Baggia, a student aide for NIU’s non-traditional student department.

Roundtable attendants will collect information and compile a database students can use to find others who may be new to the school or are having difficulty meeting others in their situation.

Baggia said the idea for the roundtable came through a need on campus to create a social network based upon sharing rides or housing for students who live in DeKalb or neighboring towns. The department would eventually like to establish a permanent network and is considering various options and ideas.

Many local housing providers plan to attend and will be able to answer questions as well as provide brochures and applications to interested students.

“We’re really excited to be there,” said Jessica Birdsley, property manager of Mason Properties, 120 N. Annie Glidden Road.

Students can contact the department directly for more information regarding events and services for commuters and non-traditional students at 815-753-9999.