After shutout win, NIU gets ‘outclassed’

By LIZ GERNAND

One win and one loss this weekend brought the women’s soccer team’s record to 3-3.

At home Saturday the Huskies shutout Oral Roberts University 5-0 on another day that provided less-than-perfect playing conditions.

“I’m happy that my players came out on another miserable day and performed well,” head coach Frank Horvat commented after the victory.

All five of NIU’s goals were made in the first half of play. The first came with 29:41 left in the half. Freshman midfielder Amy Derry scored off an assist from sophomore defender Heather Palombi.

Five minutes later freshman midfielder Megan Fitzpatrick made the score 2-0 in favor of NIU.

The NIU dominance continued when junior forward Olga Perez scored after the ball popped loose from the Oral Roberts goalie.

The Huskie’s Kristin Raynolds then took advantage of a corner kick situation with 5:45 left in the first half.

But the Huskies were not done yet. With three minutes left in the first half Derry added her second goal of the game to take the score to 5-0.

“We did what we needed done, and I’m happy with that,” Horvat said.

They came away with the win, but there was also an injury for the Huskies. Sophomore defender Beth Pomles was injured when she was knocked in the head by another player. She left the game with a cut on the head and was sent to the hospital for stitches. After the game Horvat was optimistic about Pomles condition.

“Hopefully it won’t swell up too much, but she should be all right to play tomorrow,” said Horvat.

However, Polmes did not play in Sunday’s game due to the injury.

Sunday the team headed to Detroit to take on Detroit-Mercy University. The Huskies did not fare as well in their second game of the weekend falling to Detroit-Mercy 3-1.

“They showed us how to play,” Horvat said. “They outclassed us.”

He blamed the loss on his team’s lack of intensity and the fact that the Huskies allowed Detroit-Mercy to play their game.

“They played smart and made us play poorly,” Horvat said.

He credited NIU goalie Rocky Danekas with some “big” saves, which kept the team in the game, and Derry with the only assist of the game to sophomore Christy Foster.