Women to be awarded for excellency

By Kelsey Pierson

She is amazing! How does she do that? I want to be like her! I couldn’t have done it without her!

Women who inspire comments like these may be in line for an award.

To celebrate its 25th anniversary, The Presidential Commission on the Status of Women plans to award 25 amazing women nominated by members of the NIU community.

The commission was established to give women an outlet to voice needs to the university and works as an advisory committee to the president of the university.

“We really wanted to recognize people who made an everyday contribution,” said Lise Schlosser, secretary of the Women’s Studies Department and a representative on the PCSW.

The PCSW has presented one Wilma D. Stricklin Award for the Enhancement of the Climate for Women on Campus annually since 1995.

“Not every woman on campus can receive the Stricklin award,” Schlosser said.

Since the Stricklin award usually goes to a person in a place of power who can make a significant difference, the 25 Amazing NIU Women is open to any woman with exceptional performance.

“We needed to have a way to recognize the unsung women, the building workers who no one notices until they don’t show up for work one day,” said Sharon Howard, director of the Women’s Resource Center. “Women who take an exceptional interest in students we are also interested in.”

Although the awards are intended for women, the commission is not trying to alienate men.

“That’s not to say there are not amazing men on campus,” said Betty Baugh, an administrative secretary who also works with the commission. “I’m sure they will also be supported in some way.”

The awards will be presented at a gala event to commemorate the founding of the PCSW sometime in the spring.

Although there are no plans to make the 25 Amazing NIU Women an annual award, the PCSW is investigating a wide range of honors for women on NIU’s campus.