URL welcome picnic to offer fun, games

By Jen Bland

The park has been rented and plans finalized for the annual University Resources for Latinos (URL) welcome picnic.

The picnic begins at 11:30 a.m. Saturday in Lyons Park on Taylor Street and is free of charge.

George Gutierrez, director of the URL, said there will be a lot of food, games and sports in which students can participate.

There will be volleyball, softball and basketball for students to play. Students also will be able to gorge themselves on hamburgers, chips, potato salad and drinks.

Gutierrez said the purpose of the picnic is to, “help students get the best beginning possible at NIU.”

Gutierrez said the picnic is a way of introducing new transfer students and freshmen to NIU and the programs available to them.

“We’re trying to show them friendship and help them adjust to NIU,” Gutierrez said.

This is the 6th year the picnic has been sponsored and with an increase in Latino registration, this year’s is expected to be larger than ever.

“We’ve always had very good attendance and this year we expect 175 to 200 people,” Gutierrez said.

The event is not only popular with students and faculty, but also draws community members out of the woodwork.

“A few from the community and junior colleges also attend,” Gutierrez said.

The URL rented the park, but all the Latino organizations are working together to put the picnic together.

“URL pays the bill, but all of us work together,” Gutierrez said.

He said graduate students are in charge of purchasing and cooking the food, the sororities and fraternities are in charge of getting the sports equipment and forming teams and all the organizations are helping advertise for the event.

Gutierrez said the large amount of advertising being done by the organizations also will help boost attendance. He said letters have been sent to students, fliers have been printed and students are promoting it by word of mouth.

“We’ve always had very good attendance and this year we expect 175 to 200 people.”

George Gutierrez

University Resources for Latinos director