TKE wins kickball

By Lacy Searcy

Dropped balls and bad kicks were the reason intramural sport’s first kickball finals went into extra innings.

The final game was played at the grass fields near Stevenson Towers’ parking lot.

The two teams playing for the championship were Wasted Talent and TKE.

Both teams played a hard and competitive game. Players on each team had trouble catching balls. There were a lot of foul balls because of the gusty winds. Wasted Talent could not get a good kick in the last inning. TKE was the visiting team, so they had the most pressure to score. In the top of the 5th inning, TKE was down six to five, with two outs remaining.

WT needed one more to close out the game. They could not get the job done and gave up one run, to give TKE another chance. The late comeback for TKE gave them enough momentum to close out the victory in the sixth inning. The final score was TKE 7, WT 6.

“We were greatly excited about the victory,” said Gregory Hunter, a sophomore history major and TKE player. “This is not an everyday thing winning a kickball tournament.”

While the TKE players were excited about their team’s victory, WT players showed their disappointment in falling short.

“Just disappointed man,” said Jasper Fortuna Jr., a junior business major and WT player. “This is our second championship in a row we lost this year, it’s killing us. We got four more sports this year were playing in, so hopefully we can win them.”

After the game, the winning team took pictures to be posted on a wall in the Campus Recreation Center.

For students and faculty members interested, Nov. 8 and 9 intramurals will have sign-ups for the 5-on-5 classic basketball tournament. It costs $35 per team. Each team can hold up to 10 players. If students are interested in refereeing the basketball games, they should meet for official training at 7 p.m. Nov. 7 through 10 in the meeting room at the Recreation Center.