HSC houses variety of student-related offices

By Jim Harris

The Office of Public Information is the most recent office to reside in the Holmes Student Center.

OPI began moving into the student center Sept. 27 because its space in Lowden Hall is being taken up by the Office of Development and Alumni relations.

Judd Baker, director of the student center, said OPI is in temporary residence there.

OPI now is occupying five second-floor rooms of the student center and will pay a rent of $7 per square foot for the use of the space. The rooms formerly were occupied by the University Health Service, and before that they were guest rooms.

Baker said the rooms OPI is now occupying will eventually be converted back to guest rooms.

He said he considers all offices in the student center to have student-related functions.

“The primary focus of this building (the student center) is to the students of this university, but we have responsibilities to the entire university community. That includes the faculty and staff, and also includes the alumni and guests of the university,” Baker said.

OPI deals more with the administrative aspect of the university and essentially is the public relations office for NIU.

OPI publishes items like the Northern Today newsletter for faculty and staff, and also press releases on university-related news and activities.

Student fees are only one way the building is supported, Baker said.

Outside conferences and student center operations, such as the University Bookstore, the Guest Rooms Hotel, the Huskie Den and Food Service financially support the operation of the building.

The other offices in the student center are University Programming and Activities, the office of the Ombudsman, Student Legal Assistance and Orientation, all of which, with the exception of SLA, pay rent at a rate of $7 per square foot, according to Baker.

“The primary focus of this building (the student center) is to the students of this university, but we have responsibilities to the entire university community.”