Student group aims to ease culture shock

By Lacy Searcy

The International Student Association is geared toward spreading cultural diversity around NIU and the DeKalb area.

This fairly new organization has been around four months.

The group’s first event is at 7 p.m. tonight in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

“Ethnotopia” will showcase more than 14 performances from places all around the world. NIU President John Peters and DeKalb Mayor Frank Van Buer will speak at the event.

According to the NIU Web site, between 1,000 and 1,500 people are expected to attend. This event will be a perfect example of what will be taught to students in the organization, said Jacob Sajo, a computer science graduate student and president of the ISA.

“We’re here to help international students get used to United States customs,” Sajo said. “Most international students get culture shock when they come to America, so we’re here to help them with that phase of their life. We pick international students up at the airport on their arrival to America.”

The organization is free to join and is open to anyone on campus. Bhargav Dronamraju, a senior communication major and ISU member, said it would be good for students to join the group.

“Other international groups tend to focus on their culture only,” Dronamraju said. “This group focuses on the center of all cultures.”

Right now the group has about 100 members, Sajo said. He said he hopes the numbers will increase over time.

However, the organization is not yet complete, Dronamraju said. The group just started filling out its paperwork during the summer. The organization will be Student Association-allocated after receiving SA approval.

Every student organization needs a sponsor as well. Mark Cordes, a professor for the College of Law, is the group’s sponsor.

“I work with this group because I am interested in international students and international life, as well as learning about new cultures,” Cordes said.

The group also plans to give back to the community.

“We plan to show people different cultures and diversities around the world by teaching them the music and lifestyles,” Sajo said.