Hurd, Powers admit to involvement in fight

By Andrew Schlesser and Derek Wright

NIU wide receivers Sam Hurd and Shatone Powers admitted to the Northern Star they were involved in a fight that occurred Friday morning around 1:30 a.m. at the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house, 900 Greenbrier Road.

No arrests have been made, but the investigation continues into the fight which sent three people to Kishwaukee Community Hospital.

“[The fight] was self-defense,” said Hurd, who stated both coach Joe Novak and Larry Bolles, director of the University Judicial Office, advised the players against speaking to the media.

The several persons involved consider alcohol a contributor to the evening’s altercation.

“There was a lot of chaos,” Powers said. “Drunk people blowing things out of proportion.”

Hurd was hit over the head with a bottle and sported a noticeable bump on his forehead during Saturday’s game at the University of Michigan.

“Getting hit with [the bottle] was the first thing that happened,” Hurd said. “I was surrounded and got hit with [the bottle] before anyone threw any punches.”

Powers, who did not see how the fight began, said he noticed Hurd’s head bleeding.

Kristina Calvert, a junior elementary education major, said problems started with a verbal dispute over something dropped in her drink.

“I turned around and asked a guy what he put in my drink,” Calvert said. “Then I yelled to my boyfriend that somebody [dropped something in] my drink.”

Shawn Riley, Calvert’s boyfriend, said he heard her yell from down the hallway and ran over to see what was going on.

The exchange became a shouting match when, according to Calvert, a Pike brother interjected and drank the beer in question.

Soon after the exchange, Riley reports getting choked as a fight broke out on the second floor of the house and carried over onto the first level.

“Nobody goes to a frat house looking for a fight,” said Powers, who admitted the football team has no policies about visiting bars or frat houses during the season.

Calvert and Riley both reported filling out a police report Friday upon leaving the Pike house.

Tom Tucker, Pi Kappa Alpha president, declined comment until the investigation is closed.

Novak said Sunday the matter would be dealt with on a team level if no players are arrested for the incident.