Getting a foot in the door

By Sarah J. Augustinas and Jacquelyn

The Fall Job Fair will take place at the Convocation Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday.

According to the Career Services’ Web site, 170 companies have registered for the event.

Though seniors and graduate students are encouraged to attend, sophomores and juniors also are invited to research potential jobs and internships.

Among the companies scheduled to appear are Kohl’s Department Store, Ace Hardware, MetLife, LaSalle Bank and Kishwaukee Community Hospital. Randstad, AAA Chicago Motor Board, Sun Chemical Company and Wells Fargo Financial also are expected to attend. Some businesses still are signing up.

“Even though companies generally seek out students who will be graduating, a lot of the employers will be talking about internships who won’t be at the Internship Fair,” said Cindy Henderson, Career Services coordinator.

The Fall Internship Fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Convo Center.

What should students do to prepare for the fairs?

“Be prepared, be dressed in business attire, be sure to have your resume critiqued by someone here at Career Services,” Henderson said.

Henderson also advised students not to be overwhelmed.

“It’s the Convo Center, so it will look crowded, but the employers are friendly and there are lots of alums who know how the students feel,” he said.

Students interested in having a resume critiqued can bring a copy to the Career Services’ Resource Center in the Campus Life Building, Suite 220.

C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc., a third-party logistical company, will hire entry-level sales representatives Wednesday.

“[C.H. Robinson] seeks outgoing, aggressive, high energy type-A people [to fill its openings],” employee Jim Lorde said. “Generally, an [entry level sales representative] is a college undergraduate with a bachelor’s degree who will be assigned to an existing sales group where the leader will have the representative call existing clients to see if they need service.”

Additional shuttle buses will run from the Holmes Student Center to the Convo Center for students needing transportation.