Everything you need to know for Rush Week

By Evan Thorne

Rumors about hazings, gruesome accidents and humiliating ordeals are enough to turn some students away from Greek organizations. But while there is some basis to these stories, most initiations remain safe and realistic.

Students may be familiar with the term “Rush Week.” This is when fraternities and sororities invite fellow students to meet the members of the chapter and learn more about the organization. This culminates in the chapter inviting choice visitors to become associate members, or “pledges.” Students may pledge to only one chapter at a time, and may not pledge if already initiated into another. Rush will start today and run through Sunday.

“When you rush, you go to the houses, learn about the organizations and get [bid] on,” said Gamma Phi Omega member Cristina Aguilera.

The bidding process is when the fraternities and sororities vote on who to invite to pledge to the organization.

Generally, pledgeship acts as a probationary period. It allows time where both the organization and the individual can make sure they’re making the right choice. The pledging process varies for each organization, and is a closely-kept secret. Once pledgeship is complete, membership is usually for life. The chapter can choose to initiate any pledge they like. The process is a large part of what makes each organization unique.

A major concern for prospective pledges is hazing. While there have been accounts of hazing throughout the country, according to Greek officials hazing isn’t a problem at NIU.

According to Craig Marcus, program assistant for Greek affairs, hazing is not only immoral, it is also illegal, and the chapter could lose its charter.

“It does happen, but not frequently,” Marcus said, “and it’s definitely not sanctioned by anyone.”

According to Larry Bolles, Director of Judicial Affairs at NIU, the last reported incident of hazing at NIU happened last fall, where students were paddled, verbally abused and forced to take time away from their studies to work for the chapter.

TERMS TO KNOW

Associate member: A new member of a fraternity or sorority, after initiation but before full membership; also called a Pledge.

Bid: An official invitation to join a fraternity or sorority.

Council: “Umbrella organization” that provides help and support to the individual chapters under its jurisdiction.

CPC: Collegiate Panhellenic Council, traditionally manages Caucasian sororities.

Divine Nine: African-American fraternities (Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Kappa Alpha Psi, Phi Beta Sigma, Iota Phi Theta) and sororities (Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Gamma Rho).

Hazing: Initiation practices that endanger the physical or mental health of a student; illegal at NIU.

IFC: Interfraternity Council, traditionally manages most fraternities.

MGC: Multicultural Greek Council, traditionally manages ethnic fraternities and sororities.

NPHC: National Panhellenic Council, traditionally manages African-American fraternities and sororities, including the Divine Nine.

Pledge: The act of committing oneself to an organization, including learning the history of the organization and the local chapter; particulars vary for each organization and are kept very secret.

Rush: Learning process to find what organization matches the individual’s needs and wants, culminates in the bidding process, formally occurring this year from Sept. 9 to 11.