UNIV classes help ease transition for students

By Lacy Searcy

nts have to adjust to different issues that affect their experiences at NIU, but the school offers many support services to help ease the transition.

“Freshmen challenges will be getting connected to organizations and finding a balance between the social aspects,” said Scott Peska, assistant director of Orientation.

Transfer students may encounter different problems.

“Transfer students face coming into the school, entering very quickly and getting their careers together,” Peska said.

There also are two classes that help freshmen and transfer students adjust to life at NIU.

“UNIV 101 is a class designed to help freshmen,” Peska said.

The class serves as an orientation tool and covers basics of university life, including time management and residence-hall life. It also offers suggestions for getting involved in different groups.

Fifty-two percent of freshmen are signed up for this course, Peska said.

UNIV 201 is a similar course designed for transfer students, Peska said.

Even though freshmen and transfer students generally face the same challenges when entering the university, some students agree being a transfer student is easier.

“Freshmen make a bigger transition from high school to college,” said Carlton Sabbs, sophomore athletic nutrition major. “Transfer students already know what to expect.”

Other transfer students, like sophomore business major Otha Watson, agree the biggest change is the move to the residence halls. Watson, who transferred from Southern Illinois University, said the residence halls at NIU are different.

While one group may find it easier to adjust than another, both face similar challenges. But both groups also experience new freedoms.

The best thing about being in college is doing what you want to do, freshman education major Minnie Huley said.

Students who recently transferred to NIU can find additional resources at www.reg.niu.edu/regrec/transfercenter.