Identity theft a big problem

By Jessica King

NIU discovered recently about 60 NIU students’ Social Security numbers had been posted online.

The problem, caused by a teaching assistant in the mathematics department, has been corrected. But the discovery sparks some questions about NIU’s use of the Social Security number as a primary way of identifying students.

If the university ends its reliance on the identifier, then mistakes like the one in the mathematics department could be avoided. Sure, there’s the Z-ID number, but NIU still uses the Social Security number to make sure students are who they say they are.

Identity theft is a growing concern. According to the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, identity theft affects between 500,000 and 700,000 people a year.

My parents even have had their identities stolen. They didn’t find out someone was making withdrawals from a little-used bank account to pay for computers in the deep South for months.

But there are many ways to steal someone’s identity, and gaining access to someone’s Social Security number is just one part, according to Ken Davidson, associate vice president and general counsel at NIU’s Legal Services.

For example, Davidson has had his credit information misused.

People need to be careful with personal information.

So does NIU.

“The more the identity theft is a problem, the more there is a need to give Social Security [numbers] additional protection,” Davidson said. “As long as you’re trying to put a serial number on a person, that could be a problem.”

I agree.

NIU is looking to improve security, but the process is slow. Steve Pace, an associate director at Finance and Facilities, said NIU has been trying to acquire new student administration software that would eliminate the Social Security number as the primary identifier for students.

Indeed, NIU actually purchased new software – but the software company was acquired by another company in a hostile takeover. Pace said NIU is still in negotiation.

Even when NIU works out a deal, at least 18 months would pass before a student system changeover would be complete. Never mind all the secondary systems on campus, such as Health Services or Parking Services.

NIU needs to eliminate the use of the the Social Security number. It should step up its efforts to do so.

When the Social Security number was first established in 1936, it was designed to be only used to keep track of people’s benefits. Now it’s used for everything and everyone.

Davidson said part of the problem with this widespread use is that, “Our society has let itself become a Social Security junkie.”

Social Security numbers are too convenient and too universal. They are easy to steal and misuse. That’s why individual organizations and institutions should continue to move away from the identifier.

NIU: make this a priority.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.