Student Affairs provides services

Welcome to NIU.

Congratulations on your acceptance to northern Illinois’ premier public university. Whether you’ve come to pursue your bachelor’s degree, are planning to stay with us through a master’s, or have your sights set on a Ph.D., I am delighted you’ve chosen Northern Illinois University.

The Division of Student Affairs provides services and programs tailored specifically to meet your out-of-the-classroom needs. That doesn’t mean these programs and services are not vital to your learning experience! In fact, many scholars calculate as much as 80 percent of your college education will occur outside the classroom.

That college education begins today at orientation. To get the most out of your time at NIU, I urge you to become involved in all aspects of your college life. Your satisfaction with the NIU experience will increase in direct relation to your level of involvement, both inside the classroom and out. Make it a point to meet your professors. An exciting student-faculty research project just might be in your future. It’s your education, right? Get involved.

Make it a priority today to begin to explore all that NIU has to offer, because you will not believe how quickly the next few years will pass. A multitude of rich experiences are waiting for you, from your official induction into NIU at Academic Convocation on August 19, to your victory stroll across the stage at graduation just a few short years from now. For all the moments in between these two iconic events, I challenge you to explore new interests and activities and to learn from the richly diverse community at NIU.

The dedicated professionals in the Division of Student Affairs are here to serve your needs from orientation to graduation. If I or any of my staff can assist you during your time at NIU, please feel free to contact us. Visit our Web site at www.stuaff.niu.edu/stuaff/ for more information about our services, which include housing, recreation, child care, cultural centers, LGBT issues, counseling, health and wellness, career services, Greek life, student involvement and leadership, students’ legal assistance, judicial affairs, accessibility resources and services for commuter and non-traditional students.

We’re glad you’re here. Welcome to the Huskie family.

– Brian Hemphill, Vice

President of Student Affairs