A welcome note from President Peters

On behalf of faculty, staff and administrators, greetings, and welcome to Northern Illinois University.

As you progress through orientation and your first weeks of school, you are likely to hear a lot about “The NIU Experience.” The meaning of that phrase is different for everyone who enrolls here. However, there are certain aspects I hope are common to the experience of all NIU students.

First and foremost, I hope that experience includes striving for academic excellence.

When we stake our claim as the premier public university in northern Illinois, it is no idle boast. NIU has a reputation nationwide for excellence in teaching, discovery and outreach.

As an institution, we are classified among the top tier of the Carnegie Foundation rankings for research institutions; we have been accepted into the Universities Research Association; and we have joined the ranks of the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges, the nation’s most prestigious public higher education organization.

Further evidence of the quality of education that can be attained here is provided by our alumni. Today NIU alumni can be found at the highest levels of commerce, industry, science, education and the arts.

It also is my hope that part of every NIU student’s experience is mentorship.

Members of our faculty are among the most distinguished experts in their fields, and they are always available to guide you on your journey of learning. If you take the time to seek them out after class and during office hours, I believe you will find them more than happy to act as mentors as well as teachers. I also urge you to avail yourself of the services provided by your academic counselors and through the professionals in Career Services. They can help you chart a course for a successful life after graduation.

Of course, the NIU experience extends well beyond the walls of the classroom.

Our campus today is a vibrant and exciting place, offering a wide range of experiences. There are dozens of clubs and organizations – from fraternal organizations and student government to religious groups and intramural sports teams – that will enrich your time here. There is also a wide range of fine arts programs available on campus for your enjoyment, as well as the excitement of Huskie athletics. I urge you to take advantage of all of these opportunities.

Another important aspect of your NIU experience will be your classmates. You have no doubt heard this before, but it bears repeating: The friends you make during your college years will likely be your friends for life – so reach out to the wonderfully diverse community that surrounds you on our campus.

Ultimately, the quality of your time here will be what you make of it. So as you go forward, I urge you to take full advantage of the myriad of opportunities available to you here at Northern and make the very most of your NIU experience.

John G. Peters

President

Northern Illinois University