DeKalb woman dies after being hit by bus

By Laurel Marselle

A DeKalb woman died Monday night after she was hit by a school bus on Annie Glidden Road.

The car carrying 24-year-old Angela Hernandez was heading northbound on Annie Glidden Road when the driver decided to make a U-turn. The driver stopped the car because of oncoming traffic and Hernandez got out of the car, started to walk down Annie Glidden Road and stepped in front of the school bus, said Kevin Hickey, DeKalb County sheriff’s chief deputy.

The school bus was heading southbound on Annie Glidden Road, taking the DeKalb High School girls soccer team back to the high school. Hickey said the bus driver was not at fault and there was no indication the bus was driving over the 55 mph speed limit.

People who were close to Hernandez said she was despondent over personal problems in her life, Hickey said.

DeKalb Coroner Dennis Miller said it appeared to be intentional.

Hernandez was taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital, 626 Bethany Road, where she was pronounced dead at 10:25 p.m. No other injuries were reported.

Students returned to the high school where they were not released until their parents were notified.

Counseling was also available Monday night and Tuesday. All students aboard the bus except one attended school Tuesday, DHS Principal Larry Stinson said.

“It’s a tragic thing that happened and they’re going to be impacted by that,” Stinson said.