Jobs abound in summer

By Lacy Searcy

Finding a summer job on campus may be easier for students than finding jobs elsewhere.

There are many campus jobs open for the summer because many departments get short on employees, said Human Resource assistant Chad Glover.

“It is a lot easier to get a job on campus for the summer because everybody goes home for the summer and more jobs are available,” sophomore communication major Regi Brown said.

NIU dining services is one of many areas with jobs that are available for students who stay on campus.

Mevin Young, student manager of Grant dining services, said there are 18 to 22 positions available for students.

Students who are employed for the summer usually have more intense work than the fall and spring semesters because of the many summer day camps at NIU, he said.

Student dining services offers many hours, though many dining service employees are considered to be part-time workers, Melvin said.

Other jobs available for students in the summer include housing, athletes, technician services and the Village Commons Bookstore.

Last year 2,500 students were employed during the summer, said Steve Cunningham, associate vice president of administration.

There were also more than 100 different types of positions, Cunningham said.

The seven different classifications of jobs determine the rate of pay for each student work.

“Demand for jobs on campus never goes down,” said Celeste Latham, manager of student employment.

Campus jobs are not the only ones available for students in the summer.

Students can also apply at places such as Wal-mart, Target, EB Games and other businesses located on Sycamore Road. Each of these businesses say they will be hiring throughout the year.