History department loses longtime faculty member

By Amt Ross

The NIU history department incurred a great lost this summer when one of its faculty members died.

James R. Shirley, 67, died Aug. 5 after more than a yearlong battle with cancer.

“He will be greatly missed by friends and family,” said George Spencer, history department chair.

Shirley joined the NIU history department in 1962 and taught various history classes, including his main interest, modern Chinese history. He especially liked the Chinese Revolution and the career of 20th-century political figure Wang Ching-wei.

“His death breaks my heart,” said Marvin Rosen, history professor and longtime friend of Shirley.

“Without Jim Shirley, I would not exist as I am today. Everything I like in my life wouldn’t have happened in the last 37 years at Northern without him. In a sense we became brothers,” said Rosen.

Shirley was a big fan of folk music. His lectures occasionally included guitar playing and the singing of labor and special protest songs.

Shirley informed the history department in May that he would be taking a one-year leave of absence due to health reasons. He was the only professor teaching advanced Chinese history classes. Spencer said the department is hoping to find a replacement so the classes can reopen again next semester.

Shirley was also the departmental adviser for Phi Alpha Theta, the International History Honor Society. He published several journal articles and wrote Chinese history articles for the Encyclopedia Americana. Shirley also served in the U.S. Army during World War II.

A memorial service will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. in NIU’s Music Building Recital Hall.

Shirley was born in Sapulpa, Okla. and received his Ph.D. in 1962 from the University of California at Berkeley.

Shirley is survived by his wife Helen, their five daughters, one son and four grandchildren.

“Without Jim Shirley I would not exist as I am today. Everything I like in my life wouldn’t have happened in the last 37 years at Northern without him.”

Marvin Rosen

history professor