On-campus recruiting answer to job woes

By Cindy Henderson

College students at NIU have a unique opportunity when it comes to the job search process because of the Campus Recruiting program. Through this vehicle, employers make the best use of time and resources by interviewing on campus, away from their office and work distractions, and the student only has to travel across campus to meet with someone who might become his or her future employer.

How does it work? Each semester, a timetable is developed that works around semester breaks, holidays and campus events. Then employers are solicited by the Career Services office to post jobs and recruit on campus. Since most of the employers who recruit at NIU have offices in the Chicago and Chicagoland areas, it’s convenient for the employer to make the trip to campus. The job is posted on NIU’s online job-search system and a schedule is attached letting job seekers know the employer will interview on campus and give the date the employer is coming. Employers review applicants’ resumés, and then select candidates online. The system will automatically notify successful candidates of their selection and provide them with further instructions. Candidates will go online and schedule an interview time. Can it get any more convenient? It certainly sounds a lot better than poring over printed want-ads, using national job-search Web sites where students compete with thousands of applicants and the traditional paper resumé submission using regular mail.

There is a difference between searching for a job and being recruited. The job search usually occurs after the degree has been awarded. The new college graduate begins pounding the virtual pavement with a resumé in one hand and a bachelor’s degree waving in the other. Accomplished. Proud. Late. Being recruited means the potential college graduates begin the job search at the beginning of their last year of school. Companies typically like to see proactive job seekers, because they are the ones who will perform in a proactive manner. Be one of the “early birds” and increase your chance of success. Then when you have been successfully recruited, you’ll walk across that stage with a degree in one hand and a job offer in the other. That’s the goal of the Campus Recruiting.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.