Students struggle to stay on track

By Beth Kulzer

Many college students fear one particular situation: The possibility of graduation taking over four years to finally roll around. For those fresh on the scene, time is available to change the fate of your graduation date.

Director of Admissions Bob Burk said about 30 percent of students nationwide graduate in four years.

“Ninety percent [of students] at NIU graduate in only four years and one semester,” Burk said.

There are several reasons behind elongated stays at NIU, including waiting too long to register for classes, not taking a full load, changing majors and not talking to advisors enough, Burk said.

Graduating in four years can be attained by students if they follow certain prescribed steps, Burk said.

“Take a full load and be on top of registration, make an appointment with your academic advisor and be proactive,” Burk said.

Not all NIU students have found these tips helpful, however, and many students are finding themselves returning for a fifth year.

Amanda Feledy, a fifth year senior and public health major, said switching majors held her back.

“Unless you know when you get here exactly what you want with your major, it will probably take more than four years to graduate,” Feledy said.

In addition to the uncertainty that sometimes comes with choosing a major, some find it hard to get into classes they need.

“Certain classes are only offered in the spring or fall,” Feledy said. “If you’re already behind it’s harder to get the classes you need in the right order.”

“Don’t change your major,” Feledy said as a word of advice to students.

Sam Jeser, a fifth-year corporate communications major, said he thinks the education system makes it difficult to graduate in four years.

“The availability of classes for students is slim to nil,” Jeser said.

In addition to access to courses, there is also a problem with the schools permit system, Jeser said.

“Permits should be reversed,” Jeser said. “Students from other departments than our own should have to get permits to take our classes, not vice versa.”

Jeser also has advice for those seeking a quick exit from college.

“Take as many classes as you think you can handle, work your butt off at home studying,” Jeser said, “and stay focused.”