Sexes to battle at Grant Towers

By Melissa Blake

XXs and XYs will go head-to-head at the Residence Hall Association’s Battle of the Sexes Tournament and Barbecue from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday in Central Park.

Teams of three to five members – either all male or all female – will compete in a variety of activities, including a beer goggle bicycle race, a gladiator joust and bull riding contest.

Prizes worth $1,100 are also up for grabs, including MP3 players, Nintendo GameCubes and NIU apparel.

“This end-of-the-year barbeque has become a tradition for the Grant A Tower Hall Staff,” said Corban Sanchez, Grant A Tower residence hall director.

Although this is the fourth year Grant A has sponsored the barbecue, this is the first year a battle of the sexes competition is included.

The event, held between Stevenson and Grant towers and Douglas Hall, is like a “mini-carnival,” RHA President Keith Kruchten said.

“It’s a great end-of-the-year event,” he said. “It’s a celebration of what we’ve done all year [and it is] fun-filled.”

Kruchten is not certain how many people will attend, but RHA is prepared for 1,000 people. Last year, between 200 and 250 residents came out for the event despite the cold weather, Sanchez said. She is hoping for more than 300 people this year.

“[The] activities, topped with the inviting aroma of Black Angus beef burgers and Ball Park franks grilling on a nice Saturday afternoon, are sure to draw a large crowd of hungry Huskies to Central Park,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez said the event is the “last escape” students need before the end of the semester. The tournament is a great way for students to socialize, channel their “spring fever into productive activities” and end the year with a great memory.

A live DJ and large inflatables will also be on hand. Food will be served starting at noon. In the event of rain, the tournament will be moved to the Student Recreation Center.