Potluck to celebrate cultures

By Stephanie Szuda

Cultural performances and foreign food will highlight the Taste of Asia at 6 p.m. today at the Newman Catholic Student Center.

“It’s a good chance for students to mingle with different student groups,” said Shabna Asmi, a graduate assistant for the Asian American Center.

There will be about six cultural performances, including a Vietnamese dance and a skit performed by Kappa Pi Beta fraternity.

Seven Golden Fortune Cookie Awards also will be distributed tonight. Winners were voted by the Asian American Association, said Noel “Nikko” Daguio, member of Kappa Pi Beta. Awards such as the most active organization and the most up and coming organization will be given. Certificates will be awarded to the winners.

The event, in its third year, will serve Chinese food such as vegetarian fried rice, chicken with diced vegetables, vegetarian rice noodles and lo mein. Asmi said it will almost be like a potluck with other various foods brought to share as well.

The Taste of Asia has been the highlight of Asian American Heritage Month, Asmi said.

“It’s like a grand finale of the whole month,” she said.

About 200 people attended last year and Asmi said they expect a larger crowd this year.

Applications for the peer mentor program, sponsored by the Asian American Center, also will be available. To apply, the student must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.75, be a full-time NIU student and have junior or senior standing. Applicants also must be knowledgeable about academic, personal and counseling services and have the time and commitment for mentor meetings as well as meeting with the mentee.

Informational tables for Asian student organizations and Asian American student organizations also will be available.

The event is sponsored by the Asian American Center.