New director makes HSC renovations top priority

By Stephanie Szuda

Renovations for the Holmes Student Center are at the top of the new HSC Director Mitchell Kielb’s future plans in his new position.

“It’s the first impression anyone has of NIU,” Kielb said. “It’s sort of the front door to the university.”

Built in 1965, the HSC will make changes to the building’s entrances and update broken systems.

Contractors are devising a master plan for these renovations. The master plan will address the way the building is being entered, Kielb said. Currently, the accessibility is not very convenient.

“It’s difficult to figure out where you’re at,” Kielb said. “Entrances are at all levels of the building.”

The master contractor is formulating a new plan to make the building easier to navigate.

As the new HSC director, Kielb is responsible for directing the HSC building and all it contains, including the hotel, food services and meeting and conference rooms.

To provide more food options, Kielb is considering combining the Center Cafe and Blackhawk Food Court.

McDonald’s contract expired in August but will stay for one more year. Kielb said he tries to keep at least one national brand tenant in the HSC.

John Gordon, chair of the HSC’s Director Search Committee, said the committee consisted of five representatives from places on campus that frequently interface with the student center, including dining services, the physical plant and the residence halls.

The committee received about 20 résumés and narrowed them down to two. The two candidates met with student groups and had full day interviews.

Kielb was the unanimous choice, Gordon said. Kielb served as the interim director for two and a half years after former HSC director Judd Baker retired in June 2002.

“By doing so, you start to develop relationships and make decisions,” Gordon said.

Kielb was very aggressive in his position as interim director to make the student center better, Gordon said. Kielb was officially named HSC director Feb.1.