Euphoria kicks in at DeKalb theater

By Mary Martin

Everything from traditional Indian dance and fashion to Alpha Phi Gamma’s step routine was performed for an audience as diverse as the show. Vocalists and musicians from NIU’s School of Music combined talents with performers from the University of Illinois at Chicago.

“They mixed very well,” said Chaitanya Velaga, a computer science graduate student, of the combination of ancient traditional and modern entertainment. “The contribution of the other university was very good, and the sitar and tubla [were] very good.”

This show was the biggest in ISA history, according to the organization’s president Raj Copparapu, who NIU recently named outstanding student leader of the year.

The ISA adviser, Promod Vohra, was unable to attend the event due to a family engagement, but Copparapu said Vohra is the key person behind all the ISA’s activities.

“Any kind of interaction starts with [Vohra],” Copparapu said. “Being such a busy person as he is, he’s never had a problem making time to talk to us about ISA issues.”

Many students had family in attendance, and the crowd was full of people of all ages and backgrounds.

Pankaj Shah, father of freshman physical therapy major Chinar Shah, was proud of his daughter’s performance and the ISA’s accomplishments.

Shah said the students were doing the same things performers would do in India – carrying on the culture here in America.

“I’m proud,” Shah said. “The show was well organized, they covered all [of the] culture – that’s nice.”