Parking tickets on campus down by 11,000

By Aaron Drey

Campus parking tickets have decreased by about 11,000 tickets issued since last school year.

Between Aug. 23 and March 27 of this school year, 28,941 parking tickets have been issued. Between the same dates during the 2003-’04 school year, 39,997 parking tickets were issued.

This decrease is because of the understaffing of parking enforcement agents, said Laura Lundelius, NIU coordinator of parking and traffic.

“We currently have three [parking enforcement agents] and should have four,” Lundelius said.

Lundelius added that one enforcement agent was stationed at the booth by the new DuSable bus turnaround at the beginning of the school year through some time in November.

Other parking changes include an increase in fines from $5 to $10 for tickets at metered spots and the removal of 170 meters. Those 170 metered spots were turned into general permit parking, Lundelius said.

Students still complain about parking tickets, Lundelius said.

“[Complaints] are usually for a lack of convenient parking,” Lundelius said.

NIU Ombudsman Tim Griffin said most of the student complaints have to do with the location and number of available parking spots.

Kara McCollum, a second-year philosophy graduate student, parks off-campus to avoid the charges of a permit or ticket. McCollum said she wished there were more meter spots on campus.

“If there were more meter spots, I would park on-campus,” McCollum said, “especially when I work out at the [Student Recreation Center.]”

Students who wish to challenge their tickets can fill out an appeal form. The forms are available at Campus Parking Services and the NIU Department of Public Safety and must be filled out within 10 days of the citation date.