Construction woes vary

By Grant Miller

It is construction season in DeKalb again, and students are learning to live with the dust.

Between the construction of five buildings on campus and the repair work being done on Lucinda Avenue, students might be wondering whether DeKalb is a university or a war zone.

“It would have been nice to have come back to a perfect campus,” said junior English major Laura Niesman. “I suppose the progress is necessary, so we need to live with the construction.”

University officials took many precautions to ensure a smooth week of moving in, including enlisting the assistance of DeKalb and University Police, as well as mailing out construction and alternate route information to students living in the residence halls.

“They sent me a letter telling me where to go and where to park so that I could avoid all the construction,” said freshman pre-physical therapy major Sara Barkley. “The construction is good if it’s going to improve the campus.”

Although the university informed students of what was happening on campus, some problems could not be avoided. “The construction was hard on our new car,” said sophomore undecided major Nancy Handwerker. “We didn’t appreciate the dust and the nicks caused by flying gravel.”

The difficulties which have come along with the construction haven’t been limited to only residence hall move-in. Routes to certain buildings have been altered as well. “It took me forever to figure out where I was going, the construction has torn everything up,” said junior history major Kevin Kistner.

“Not to mention, I twisted my ankle on some of the gravel and the noise from the machines is driving me insane,” he said.

Yet there are those who feel the construction this year is an improvement from the repairs being done last year. “I went to class as I normally do,” said senior computer science major Ray Mackie. “In the spring the construction was much worse; now it’s not quite as bad.”