Vehicle erupts in flames on Friday

By Mary Martin

Flames erupted from a car carrying four NIU students Friday afternoon, causing classroom interruptions in Watson Hall and the Stevens Building.

No one was injured in the fire at about 2 p.m., but the vehicle sustained significant damage to the hood and engine compartment.

Lamar Brown, a freshman computer science major, said he was walking through Watson to the Writing Workshop in DuSable Hall when he saw the commotion outside.

“The flames were about five feet high, I thought it was caused by a gas leak or something,” Brown said.

The driver and three passengers, who declined to be named, watched from a grassy area outside Stevens as DeKalb firefighters put out the flames. The students were picking up a friend from class when they smelled gasoline and saw smoke and flames outside the car.

Lt. Jim Zarek, of the DeKalb Fire Department, said the surrounding buildings were not damaged or in any danger.

About 20 students stood in the freezing rain watching the scene unfold, several of whom had left classes from nearby buildings due to the commotion.

Some students were not so sure the danger was minimal.

“Flames were everywhere, the tires were popping – I thought the car was blowing up,” said junior nursing major Nicole Udrow.

Zarek said popping tires make a loud noise that can be mistaken for an explosion.

University Police Sgt. Tony Ayala said he sent an officer through Watson to warn students and staff to avoid classroom windows until the car could be extinguished. UP did not evacuate any buildings.

Senior communication major Sam McGiffen said she was walking in the area and noticed flames from underneath the car before it stopped.

U.P. and the DeKalb Fire Department arrived about 15 minutes after the blaze was sighted, McGiffen said.

By the time emergency vehicles arrived, the fire had spread beyond the car’s undercarriage.

“The engine compartment was fully involved, and the fire had started to move into the cabin of the vehicle,” Zarek said.