Official: Labs will always be used

By Aaron Drey

NIU’s computer labs will always be necessary, even as the computers become outdated, said Cindy Phillips, director of telecommunications and customer support services.

NIU’s Information Technology Services allows students access to 14 computer labs in 12 buildings on campus. Not including the labs in Barsema Hall, 175 classes are being taught in computer labs this semester.

Printing and homework are two reasons students use the labs, Phillips said. Some students have individual laptops but not their own printer, she said.

Since some laptops do not have all the needed software, the computer labs come in handy, Phillips said.

“[Students use the labs to] complete homework,” Phillips said. “Especially [when] specialized application software is needed.”

The labs are upgraded as deemed necessary by the Office of the Provost, Phillips said. The Reavis Hall and Graham Hall labs received new computers and minor room maintenance items before this school year that cost approximately $7,000 per room, Phillips said.

Some universities have experimented with providing laptops to every student with funding coming from student fees. Phillips said this idea would not lower the usage of the labs if it was implemented at NIU.

“Many students already have computers but still use the labs for convenience,” Phillips said.

Kristen Peters, an English graduate student and NIU composition professor, uses the computer labs a lot but said a laptop fee would help with her homework. A flash memory drive is required for the classes she teaches, but many of the labs are not flash-drive compatible, Peters said.

The laptop program would come with many questions concerning the repair, maintenance and replacement of the laptops, Phillips said.

Amanda Starp, a junior law enforcement major, said she would like to see the laptop program happen. She also said she would be willing to pay extra fees.

Derek Ware, a freshman public law major, does not like the laptop program. He said he does not use the labs enough to require his own laptop.