Lil’ Flip concert left hanging

By Aaron Drey

Houston-based rapper Lil’ Flip was a no-show for his scheduled concert on Friday at the NIU Music Building’s Concert Hall due to a mix-up with the promotional group.

A Dollar Production, a promotional group, worked with NIU students to bring Lil’ Flip to NIU. Lonnie Pollard, of Bright Idea Entertainment and a management major, said he and associates scheduled the time and place for the concert. A Dollar Production was in charge of the funding to bring Lil’ Flip to NIU.

Kyle, a.k.a. “S.K.,” McGhee, a freshman marketing major, hosted the concert and announced to the half-full music hall that Lil’ Flip would not perform. McGhee said he did not find out Lil’ Flip would not be there until five minutes before the announcement.

McGhee said there were scattered boos among the crowd, but most people left without incident.

Freshman undecided major Jasmine Dockery said angry cries of, “Lil’ Flip ain’t nothing!” arose from the frustrated crowd after McGhee’s anouncement.

Dockery said after artist 2 $ense performed, McGhee came on stage to announce he did not have good news, Lil’ Flip was not in the building and a manager who was supposed to book Lil’ Flip had run off with the money.

Shortly after the announcement, Dockery said she observed security escort a screaming girl from the concert hall.

Some NIU students at the concert were not as angry as they were surprised by the cancellation announcement.

“I was in shock when the announcement was made,” said Black Student Union President DuJuan Smith, a senior psychology and sociology double major. “It was heart-breaking to see the organizers and the people who paid to see the concert literally robbed.”

Kari Wisowaty, a junior kinesiology major, performed with NIU’s Rhythm Nation dance team as one of the opening acts for the concert. Wisowaty said the crowd did not seem too angry but were disappointed.

“Of course people were mad that they paid $15 and didn’t get to see [Lil Flip],” Wisowaty said.

Students tickets were $15, general admission was $20 before the show and $25 at the door. Tickets were supposed to be sold at the CAB box office, but an accounting error forced the office to suspend sales.

The Northern Star was unable to speak with a concert organizer to confirm whether or not concert attendees would be compensated.

-Staff Reporter Shureice Kornegay contributed to this story.