Media breaks women’s traditional portrayals

By Stephanie Szuda

The media’s “tough chicks” will be examined at 7 p.m. tonight in the Heritage Room of the Holmes Student Center.

Sherrie Inness, professor of American literature and gender studies, will give a speech showing how tough women are challenging traditional roles for females and some of the ways these roles are contained.

“Beyond Charlie’s Angels: The New World of the Action Heroine” will show how women’s roles have changed since shows such as Charlie’s Angels appeared, said Jolene Skinner, program coordinator of Women’s Studies.

“Women who are, for example, Buffy, Alias or Xena,” Skinner said.

Actresses in these television shows dress provocatively but are portrayed as powerful, she said.

“We associate power and toughness with masculinity, whereas these women are also very powerful, but they are women,” she said.

Lise Schlosser, a student at large, said she thinks it is important for students to look at the media’s portrayal of women and to analyze it. Schlosser has read a lot of Inness’ work and looks forward to asking her questions.

There will be a short reception after the speech where students can speak with Inness and purchase her books. Inness has published many journals and 14 books, most recently “Cooking Lessons: The Politics of Gender and Food,” published in 2001.

The presentation is sponsored by the NIU Department of Teaching and Learning, University Libraries, Women’s Studies and the graduate colloquium committee.

“She’s done a lot,” Skinner said. “To get her to come to campus we needed a lot of support. We’re very grateful to our sponsors.”

Skinner said they hope for a turnout of about 100 people. Admission to the speech is free.