Student fees could rise at Dekalb High

By Aaron Wiens

Student fees for drivers’ education courses at DeKalb High School, 1515 S. Fourth St., may go up by as much as $350.

The Board of Education agreed at Tuesday’s meeting to ask the state to raise the maximum it could charge students from $50 to a fee similar to what private driving schools charge.

“This change is because of the budget,” School Board President Tom Teresinski said.

If approved by the state, the change in fees could go into effect for the 2005 school year, he said.

Also, the school board favored DHS changing athletic conferences to an as of yet unnamed conference containing Rochelle, Sycamore, Kaneland, Geneva, Batavia, Yorkville and Glenbard South.

“You have a winner here, and you should definitely pursue this,” School Board member Andy Small said.

The board will vote on the conference change at a later date.

On the lighter side of business the board hosted several showcases.

First, the DHS Boys’ Acapella Choir sang two songs – a rendition of pop group U2’s “MLK” and a version of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”

Another showcase of 27 students and adults selected as finalists in the “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 2005 Art and Essay Competition” received recognition from the board.

The finalists’ entries are on display at the Education Center, 901 S. Fourth St.

The next school board meeting will be Tuesday, March 1 at 7 p.m. in the District 428 Education Center.