Candidates reach out to students

By Sheena Elzie

DeKalb candidates for 6h Ward alderman guarantee they will cater to students’ concerns in the upcoming elections.

“Over the last four years, I have been listening to students’ concerns,” said David Baker, incumbent 6th Ward alderman. “I have done my best to keep them involved in the community.”

As an NIU alumnus, Baker said he is an advocate for the students and what affects them.

He said he has already done things, at the students’ request, to improve student life – such as adding additional lighting on Garden Road and near Huskie Stadium.

Baker’s opponent, Jessie Perez, said being an employee of the university gives him the advantage.

Perez is the adviser to many student organizations.

“I think seeing and being able to approach officials is very important,” Perez said. “I want to hear the opinions of the people, not just represent them.”

Perez said if elected, he would take the initiative to resolve important issues including city growth, security and transportation.

The Huskie Bus is not able to travel on Hillcrest Drive, preventing buses from having a return route to campus.

If elected, Perez plans to reconstruct the road so it can handle the weight of the bus.

“We need to ensure safe and accessible means for students to get to their classes on time, especially during the winter season,” Perez said.

Many NIU students had concerns about issues in DeKalb.

“I feel that city officials should build more shelters for the homeless, clean up our parks and focus on community safety,” said Virgiann Fayne, a junior broadcast journalism major.

Of 75 NIU students polled in an unscientific Northern Star survey, 55 percent said community growth and development is the most important issue in the elections. Forty-seven percent said candidates should focus on diversity issues.

Others said they felt candidates lack everyday interaction with students.

“I feel that candidates need to familiarize themselves more with students – because we are the future,” junior sociology major Armando Reddick said.

The survey indicated 73 percent of students are not aware of who is running in the city elections, and 43 percent said they would not vote because they are not familiar with the candidates.