Brooks & Dunn to headline April 30 Convo concert

By Mary Martin

The Convocation Center announced Saturday the country music duo Brooks & Dunn will return to play the arena April 30.

Brooks & Dunn last played the Convo in January 2004. The duo’s 2004 appearance represented the first concert sellout in the arena’s history.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday. Information on prices and availability can be found at www.niuconvo.com.

The duo, with 22 million albums sold and 18 No. 1 hits, was recently nominated for two 2005 Country Music Television Awards, best video by a group or duo and most inspiring video of the year.

Brooks & Dunn’s most recent album, “Very Best of Brooks & Dunn,” was released in December 2004.

Gary Allen will be Brooks & Dunn’s special guest. Allen’s most recent album, “See If I Care,” was released in 2003 and featured hits such as “Tough Little Boys” and “Songs About Rain.”

Students appreciate the talent the Convo, a $36 million investment, brings to DeKalb, even if the events are expensive.

“They have pretty good events,” said sophomore health and human sciences major Marilen Magtibay. “Incubus and Dave Chappelle were really popular, but they were also really pricey.”

The Nelly concert March 9 is $32 for NIU students with a student ID (limit two), and $36.50 for the general public (limit eight).

John Gordon, director of the Convo, said the center wants to focus more on student athletes and students.

“We try to keep tickets under $30,” Gordon said. “We always try to have two prices, one of them being $2 to $5 cheaper for students.”

When the facility opened in August 2002, it provided extra parking for students, an indoor practice area for the women’s track team and attracted people from far and wide to the DeKalb area.

Each event held at the Convo brings in a profit, and all of the proceeds are kept to be used in the future maintenance of the center, Gordon said.

“Our revenues are exceeding our expenses,” Gordon said. “A lot of the events we do because they bring in revenue to support the facility.”

The Convo also has corporate sponsors which donate money in return for signage in the arena and ticket packages for events.

While the Convo staff have shown themselves quite capable of booking big-name events, they also seek student input in the decisions they make.

Kevin Selover, marketing manager for the Convo, meets with a student committee regularly, and the center’s Web site includes a link for feedback, at www.convocationcenter.niu.edu.

“I wish I could get more people to give me feedback.” Selover said. “I’m trying to do a good job representing students.”

The Convo is available for more than just big-name events. Organizations on campus are also welcome to pitch ideas to the Convo staff for events they might be having. The center also is available for dances, meetings and dinners.