LA&S wins awards for teaching, research

By Beth Kulzer

The College of Business and College of Engineering are not the only NIU colleges receiving awards.

Sue Doederlein, associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said their faculty is among the most regularly awarded at NIU.

Professors William Blair and James Giles are the recipients of the 2004-2005 Presidential Teaching Professors award in the LA&S College. Only one other professor, Rick Ridnour of the marketing department, received the award.

Teaching is not the only strength that LA&S offers. Andrea Bonnicksen, Michael Gonzales and C.T. Lin all received the 2004-2005 Presidential Research Professors awards, Doederlein said.

“The previous year, only two people were given the research award,” Doederlein said. “Both were from Liberal Arts and Sciences.”

Research done in the LA&S college eventually leads to very impressive grants, Doederlein said.

Faculty members are enthusiastic about the acknowledgement.

“We are proud of the achievements of all our colleagues,” Doederlein said. “Our researchers are excellent and provide a direct benefit to the people of Illinois.”

Not only are these award winning professors benefiting the people of Illinois, they are also contributing to NIU students daily.

“The great thing is that all of these people teach,” Doederlein said. “A neat thing about NIU is that we have world renowned faculty teaching students.”

Molly McNett, an English instructor, said she is proud to be a part of the College of LA&S.

“We offer an education covering all subjects,” McNett said. “Some people come to college to get a degree and broaden their minds. That is the type of student we hope to get.”

Brian Jaeger, a senior sociology major, said that his major has a lot of great teachers with many years of experience.

“There are plenty of departments with great new facilities and technology,” Jaeger said.

The college recruits students through early mailings their junior year of high school, Doederlein said.

“Students entering the Liberal Arts and Sciences College should be excited about the intellectual environment being offered,” Doederlein said. “Our college is one of the best kept secrets in Illinois.”