Graduation fee due March 4

By Stephanie Szuda

Students planning to throw their caps in the air at the May graduation ceremony should have their fees paid by March 4.

The $29 fee is due to the Bursar’s Office in Swen Parson Hall, said Suzanne Warber, assistant director of registration and records.

“Some students think that they don’t have to pay if they aren’t walking, but they do. It covers more than that,” Warber said.

The fee covers the student’s cap and gown rental, the diploma and diploma cover. The cost also covers ordering and mailing your diploma and the cost of the commencement ceremony.

At the time of the ceremony, the graduate receives the diploma cover and a letter from the president congratulating the student on their accomplishment, Warber said.

A student is allowed to turn the fee in late, but it is not recommended.

“When you don’t pay, it can delay processing,” Warber said.

As long as a student completes all their degree requirements, they will graduate. However, if a student does not pay the fee, he or she can still participate in the ceremony and will receive a cap and gown, but they will not receive their diploma, Warber said.

Graduating seniors will receive a commencement invitation with a card they are to return if they plan to attend the ceremony.

The undergraduate degree fee payment form is available at Registration and Records, Williston Hall 214 or from the Bursar’s Office. Checks should be made payable to the Bursar’s Office.

As an average over the past three years, 92 percent of graduate and undergraduate students participated in the graduation ceremony, according to Registration and Records.

“I’d say about 95 percent or more. Three or four may miss because they are out of town,” said Bob Snow, assistant to the dean of the College of Law.

Kevin Selover, marketing manager of the Convocation Center, said 10 tickets are available to each graduating senior for the graduation ceremony. The first graduation ceremony to take place at the Convocation Center was in December 2002, Selover said.