Women debate role of appearances

By Beth Kulzer

This year’s Women’s History Month celebration is sure to make a splash.

The theme, “Body Waves,” is meant to provoke debate about what role women’s appearances play in society. Twenty five events will be hosted, including lectures, fashion showcases and documentaries, all questioning the importance of women’s physical appearance.

Jolene Skinner, program coordinator for the Women’s Studies Program, said the target in choosing events is to pick a theme that is timely.

“A big part of the college experience is learning about the world,” Skinner said. “These events are great because they add to the knowledge that students gain in class and that allows them to adapt it to real problems.”

The celebration, however, is not meant to only touch on current social issues.

“Women’s History Month celebrates the contributions and successes of people that may otherwise go unnoticed,” Skinner said.

The month also highlights the power struggle that still exists among women and other groups in society.

“I think that today people recognize that certain groups aren’t given the same amount of power that other groups have,” Skinner said. “This month brings attention to that fact.”

Since its introduction to the NIU campus in 1986, Women’s History Month events have drawn many people.

“Last year several hundred students attended,” Skinner said. “Different events are held to appeal to different types of crowds.”

One of the most important aspects of Women’s History Month is encouraging people to understand that feminism is multi-faceted, she said.

“It’s important for people to celebrate and bring friends,” Skinner said. “It’s also important for people to try to get men involved.”

Lauren Whalen, a teaching assistant in the Women’s Studies program, said the celebration of Women’s History is overdue.

“I think every university should be doing the same thing,” Whalen said. “It’s about time we started celebrating women and their achievements.”

Laura Noto, a junior special education major, said it is great that NIU is holding events to celebrate Women’s History Month.

“It’s important because women fought for the freedoms we have today, and that should be recognized,” Noto said. “We need to remember the women who fought for our rights and try not to take everything we have for granted.”

This year’s celebration will begin with student performances of “The Vagina Monologues,” sponsored by the Women’s Law Caucus. Performances will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the Cavan Auditorium in Gabel Hall. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for the general public and can be purchased this week by e-mailing [email protected]. Tickets for the opening night will be discounted to $6 for students.