The most popular and affordable locales for students

By Beth Kulzer

It may be weeks away, but some NIU students are already counting the minutes until Spring Break arrives. As some wrap up final details of their vacations, others remain unsure of the best locale to break their banks.

Sonitha Kiman, regional sales manager for Student Travel Services, said for those looking to travel outside the United States, Acapulco, Jamaica, Cancun and the Bahamas are some of the hottest spots where college students are flocking.

“Cancun and the Bahamas have been around really long. They’re huge tourist spots,” he said. “People visit the Bahamas for the weather and because it is on the Caribbean, but Cancun is like the label for Spring Break.”

Another earthly paradise gaining the attention of travelers worldwide is Acapulco.

“Acapulco is one of the most up and coming spots,” Kiman said.

The spot gains its status from its booming nightlife and abundance of clubs, he said.

“That, and the drinking age is 18,” Kiman said.

Those looking to travel internationally on a tight budget should probably consider Jamaica.

“You can pretty much go anywhere for affordable price,” Kiman said. “Discount packages are offered through most travel agencies, but Jamaica is probably the most affordable because hotels don’t charge much and transportation is cheap.”

Standard packages generally include roundtrip airfare, transportation to and from the airport and a list of hotels the agency does business with.

Ryan Goodale, a senior marketing major going to Panama City Beach, Fla., said he is looking forward to getting out of DeKalb.

“I’m excited about going somewhere, meeting new girls and hanging out with people,” he said. “Most students take vacations so they can get out of DeKalb, get away from school and forget about eveything.” He said to save money for his trip he works and donates plasma.

Glenn Hager, an accounting graduate student, is going to South Padre Island, TX.

“I want to have some fun, forget about classes and drink some beer,” he said.

JoLynn Zimmer, a senior political science and international relations major, is heading to California.

“I’m looking forward to the break,” Zimmer said, “because I won’t have to do any Arabic homework.”

Zimmer said she has not really begun saving for her vacation. “It’s called a credit card,” she said.

Students who are planning trips should get their affairs in order.

“The time to make travel arrangements is during the fall semester,” Kiman said. “Most kids do their planning during September and October and then book reservations.”