Web board usage rising

By Beth Kulzer and Kristyn Williamson

The number of courses using the Blackboard Course Server has tripled since 2002, as more faculty members and students are acclimating themselves to the system.

“Students are being introduced to the program earlier in their careers so there is less anxiety about using it,” said Carol Scheidenhelm, assistant director for the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center.

Faculty members are signing up for workshops on how the Blackboard system functions and instructors are becoming more comfortable utilizing it, said Scheidenhelm.

“There are many benefits to using Blackboard,” said Larry Vint, an ITS Customer Services Representative. “It provides easy and convenient communication between students and professors and access to materials from anywhere. It saves on costs, like the paper shortages and it provides links to other Web sites.”

The Blackboard system also offers students the opportunity to view notes, power-point presentations and instructor’s announcements from their homes.

“Students can also hold pre-class and post-class discussions, turn in assignments and take tests with the program,” Scheidenhelm said.

Meghan Ginnan, a sophomore nursing major, said she loves Blackboard.

“This semester, all of my professors are using blackboard, so I’m always on it,” Ginnan said. “I think every teacher should use it because it’s so easy, I get my notes, PowerPoints and extra readings from Blackboard.”

Blackboard also provides students with the convenience of accessing class materials online from anywhere, Scheidenhelm said.

Students are not the only individuals receiving the benefits Blackboard offers.

Edward Brata, an NIU marketing instructor, said he now frequently finds students are asking to have course information posted on Blackboard.

“I think it’s a great way to get information out and stay in touch with students,” Brata said. “At first it was new and people were resistant to the change, but it’s been proven that it does work.”

Jason Mata, a physical education graduate student, said although many students are still a bit uncomfortable using the program it makes accessing class materials easier.

“Teachers expect students to know what Blackboard is and how to use it without any training,” Mata said. “But if it is up-dated by the teacher on a daily basis it makes it easier for both teachers and students to be on the same page for what assignments are due and when.”