Board of Trustees await approval

By Mary Martin

The Board of Trustees is awaiting a decision by Gov. Rod Blagojevich and the State Senate that could replace four of its six appointed members.

“The Board of Trustees sets broad-level policy for the school,” said Adam Novotney, a junior organizational management major and governmental affairs director for the Student Association. “There’s been a vacancy and three terms are expiring. This should be a concern for students.”

According to the regulations of the Board of Trustees, the group is directly responsible for the operation, management, control and maintenance of NIU.

Seven people currently compose the board – six appointed by the governor and one student trustee elected annually by the student body.

“It’s been a pleasure to serve on the board,” said Eric Johnson, a senior public administration major and student trustee, whose term runs from July 1 to June 30th. “The members truly appreciate student input; our board actually likes hearing what we have to say.”

On Jan. 17, three board members terms expired. Trustees Barbara Giorgi Vella, Myron Siegel and Gary Skoien have all re-applied for a new term and are awaiting word from the governor.

“We’ve had a very cohesive group of members; everybody’s had the best interest of the university in mind,” Skoien said.

Trustees Robert Boey, George Moser and Manny Sanchez’s terms expire in 2007.

“When a trustee’s term has expired, they continue to serve until their successors are appointed or qualified,” said Siegel, trustee and author of the board’s regulations and bylaws. “It’s in the Governor’s hands to decide who to appoint and the senate can either approve or disapprove of his appointments.”

Board members also serve on sub-committees which address different aspects of university regulation. This method of delegating functions to the appropriate committee sets NIU’s board apart from all others in Illinois.

“Northern is very fortunate to have the best qualified Board of Trustees in the state,” Siegel said.

The board and each of its committees meet four times a year.

Information about when and where the board meets can be found at www.niu.edu/board/.